How to Prevent Neck Pain While Sitting at Your Computer Desk
Depending on the nature of your job, sitting at your desk for a long period can be unavoidable. As such, work-related neck pain becomes common.
But you don’t have to make this nagging pain part of your life. With chiropractic care and a few lifestyle changes, you can live a happier, pain-free life.
Neck Pain from Sitting at Your Desk? Check Out These Helpful Tips
Here are some practical ways to prevent neck pain at work without having to quit your job:
Maintain Proper Posture
When you spend hours sitting in one position, you may end up straining the muscles around your neck, back, and shoulders. The muscles get fatigued from holding your spine in place for a long period, causing pain.
You can achieve a better posture by:
- Taking a break every 30 minutes to stretch or take a quick walk
- Using an adjustable desk where you can alternate between sitting and standing every couple of hours
- Stretching every time you feel your muscles tightening up
It’s also recommended to exercise and stretch regularly to strengthen your core.
Maintain Proper Desk Set Up
A poor desk set may force you to work on your computer at awkward postures which leads to neck pain. Therefore, ensure that:
- Your desk is large enough to hold your computer at least 20 inches away from the eye to prevent eye strain
- Rather than lying flat on the desk, the keyboard should be set at 10°-20° incline to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome
- The monitor should be high enough so you don’t have to look down at it, straining your neck muscles in the process
If possible, invest in an ergonomic workstation for better health.
Stress is one of the major causes of muscle tension in the neck and shoulders, and it could be contributing to your work-related neck pain. You need to find effective ways to manage your stress, including:
- Exercise: Apart from releasing stress-fighting hormones, working out also strengthens your muscles to help you maintain better posture.
- Chiropractic treatment: Chiropractic adjustments release the tension in your muscles, helping you relieve your neck pain.
- Hobbies: From playing music to reading your favorite books, hobbies are a great way to take your mind off work-related stress.
Get a Natural Neck Pain Treatment in McKinney
At Eldorado Chiropractic, our top priority is helping you relieve pain. Dr. Scott Dawson has over 20 years’ experience treating a wide range of neuromuscular and musculoskeletal issues with chiropractic care. We’ll also advise you on healthy lifestyle practices to help you maintain proper posture and prevent the reoccurrence of your neck pain.
For drug-free, non-invasive neck pain treatment in McKinney, schedule an appointment with us today.
Posted In: Chiropractic